Next Tournament

Silly Chess. Quiz for 3/6

Position after 17...Qc5What are some of the best moves to consider here for white? This game was a classic example that in quick games, it is the person who makes the last blunder that loses the game. Obviously, this can be said for long games as well, but usually the strong player will have the patience to calculate it out properly and just grind down a victory. Here I played 18. Qe3? hoping to just trade off the queens and get to a better endgame for white. I forget that that move drops the knight! I was about to resign, but then saw an idea which fortunately worked out for me. But after analysis, perhaps if it was not fast time controls or "silly chess" as I call it, my higher rated opponent would have found the proper defense. After 18...Qxc4 19. Qxa7 Qa6 20. Qd4 What should black do now?
To replay the entire game click on the link below:

5 comments:

  1. 20...Nf6 would be good enough.
    m.

    ReplyDelete
  2. from diagramed position white can play 18.d5 thretening 19.Nd4. Black cannot play 18...b5 because of 19.Nb5.
    m.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sorry/ I ment: from diagramed position white can play 18.e5 thretening 19.Ne4. Black cannot play 18...b5 because of 19.Nb5.
    m.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel ...Nf6 is nice as it covers the d7 square and prepares ...Rd8.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Answers:

    The best white move on 18. was e5 and yes after the varation played, the move for black on 20...Nf6 holds it all together.

    ReplyDelete