Next Tournament

Checkmate challenge - White to Move

Setup this position on the board and try to solve this checkmate from beginning to end without moving the pieces. This position is from Schmid-Richter in Germany. There are other variations that wins for white, but try and solve for checkmate. I tried it for over one hour and finally thought I got the solution and started moving the pieces and realized a miscalculation and then it took me further 20 min. to figure it out. Fritz 9 takes about 3 min. and Rybka 2.3 takes about 8 min. on my computer to come up with the mate. How long did you take ??

8 comments:

  1. To correctly calculate the time your engine takes on this problem, make sure you start up the engine fresh and give this problem. If the first move is given to the engine during its calculation and then you take back that move, it would still remember it and come up with the mate much faster.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. Qh6+!!, Kh6
    2. hg+

    And then it is all just various mate in 1-3's.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not sure as to who the anonymous is ??, but their first two moves are correct. But, after 2 hg+, there is still plenty of complications left of 2...Kg5

    and the mate is probably 7 or 8 moves further down the line.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1.Qh6+ KxqQ
    2.hxg6+ Kg7
    3.Rxh7+

    2...Kg5
    3.Rh5+ KxR
    4.f4+ NxB
    5.Rh1+ ect.


    Norm

    ReplyDelete
  5. When Debbie and I saw the musical "Chess" in London in 1986, this combination was featured onscreen in the climactic final game. I hadn't know about it, so I was quite enthralled. She had the unusual experience of being with someone who was focusing on the board rather than on the singing and emotion...

    I am also confirming my participation in the "Can-Am" the weekend of the 22-23rd.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed this problem I believe problem solving activities improve one's ability to calulate and visualize significantly! 1. Qh6+ KxQ 2.hg+ Kg5 3. Rh5+ KxR 4.f4+ NxB 5. Nf6+ Kh6 6. Rh1+ Kg7 7. Nh5+ Kh8 8.g7++ Barry Davis thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes Barry, this is an interesting one. Hope you got the email for invitation to join. You can start posting more puzzles and everyone will enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete