Next Tournament

Bye Bye BOB and Best Wishes

Did you notice that in the comment section of a recent post that two time Buffalo-Niagara Scholastic Player of the Year -Expert BOB SIYUAN SHAO (2042) will be moving out of the area? Please join me in wishing him well. Here is what he said:
"... I’d like to take this opportunity to thank some people during my chess-playing time in Buffalo: Michael McDuffie (“Chess Ambassador”) for organizing several tournaments in Buffalo and promoting chess in Western New York. Also, Mark Mieth (“The Chess Doctor”) has organized many excellent tournaments in Buffalo such as the Niagara Falls Chess Festival. Because of those two, Buffalo Chess is headed in the right direction and many people benefited from, including me. Keep up the good work! Finally, last but not least, I’d like to thank my first OTB opponent, David Biddle. David helped introducing me to tournament chess in last year's Free April, and really was a big boost for my tournament chess. Thanks David, I will always appreciate for helping me get started. I hope Buffalo chess continues to run smoothly in the future. Good luck to you all! "-Bob Shao

6 comments:

  1. Bob, Sorry to see you go. Good luck there and maybe you will visit us sometimes. We will be watching you on your quest for GM.
    (On personal note: I was preparing Nimzo-Indian...)

    Marijan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bob, glad to see you have moved up so quickly in USCF rating. Good luck in Houston!

    Y

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bob,

    It was a pleasure having the opportunity to know you and watch you rise from a provisional 1490 player in that first tournament Free April 2007 on to winning the 2007 Stella Niagara Scholastic, then 2007 Buffalo-Niagara Scholastic player of the Year, repeating that in 2008 along with being the 2008 Buffalo Class A Champion, then finishing 10th in the U2000 section of the 2008 World Open, and to rise to your current expert level of 2042 and 19th highest 13 year old in the USA (August 2008 List). Just incredible!

    Our loss is Houston's gain. We will continue watching your climb to master status.

    As always:
    Best in chess and life,

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bob, your steep climb in your chess career will be an inspiration for others as well. Good luck to you in future.

    Best wishes

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi everyone, thanks for the encouragement and help. I arrived in Houston last night and already miss Buffalo. I’m sure I will be back to visit sometime soon. I’ll be reading the blog and give my best wishes to everyone in the future, on and off the chess board.
    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, very sorry to see you go as you were already giving me tussles. Seek out strong events and learn from losses. And come back here for college ;-)

    ReplyDelete